Avalon funeral plan review
Avalon funeral plans are accepted by a network of independent funeral directors. In addition to UK funeral plans, they also offer European funeral plans for people living in Spain, the Canaries, Portugal and Cyprus.
Market insight: Avalon funeral plans offer free collection of the deceased anywhere throughout the UK mainland however they only include a contribution for 3rd party funeral costs
- Avalon is registered and regulated by the Funeral Planning Authority (FPA)
- Dual Certification: if you own a 2nd home in Spain or other designated country, you can use your funeral plan in both locations
- Free transportation if you were to die anywhere in England, Scotland and Wales
- You can put an Avalon funeral plan in joint names to cover either the first or second death for free
- The plan can be used in a number of designated European countries if you move abroad
- No charge for changing Funeral Directors in advance
- Plans only include a contribution for third party costs of £1,000 so there could be more to pay
- The funeral procession only goes direct to the crematorium or cemetery
- Funeral Director coverage across the UK isn’t as widespread as some other plan providers
- There may be a charge if your family change funeral directors at time of need
- Family viewing of the deceased is only included in 2 of the 3 plans
Avalon funeral plan review - the details
Standard Plan: Guarantees the funeral director’s services a basic coffin a hearse, and a £1,000 allowance towards third party costs.
Plus Plan: Guarantees the funeral director’s services and includes a quality veneered coffin, use of the chapel of rest, a hearse, one limousine and a £1,000 allowance towards third party costs.
Premier Plan: Guarantees the funeral director’s services and includes a high-quality veneered coffin, use of the chapel of rest, a hearse, two limousines and a £1,000 allowance towards disbursements.
Avalon funeral plan payment options
Avalon offer several payment options including a monthly funeral plan , so you can choose to either pay:
In full / over 6 or 12 months– The cheapest option and you don’t incur any additional fees if spreading your costs over 12 months
Instalments – Avalon offers instalments of between 1 and 15 years with a deposit that is dependent on the level of service you choose.
The Avalon Promise guarantees that if your funeral was needed before you had finished paying your monthly payments, they will still honour the funeral services, as long as you have been paying into the plan for at least 12 months and are up to date with your payments paid.
How secure are Avalon funeral plans?
Avalon is registered with and regulated by the Funeral Planning Authority so must comply with their strict rules and code of conduct on the service you receive and most importantly how the money is held.
Your money is paid into a trust fund that is a completely separate entity to Avalon and audited annually.
Our Avalon funeral plan review verdict
Avalon has been established for over 20 years and until more recently were probably better known for providing European funeral plans for expats.
There are two unique features of Avalon Funeral Plans. The first is that they can be used in a number of European countries if you decide to relocate or have a 2nd property. So, if you are considering a move to Spain or the Canaries, Portugal or Cyprus, this plan might be worth a look.
Secondly the Avalon Promise ensures that after the first year, if you die before your monthly instalments are paid off, the funeral services detailed in the plan will still be provided, just as long your payments are up to date.
However, these funeral plans only include a contribution towards third party costs so there could be more for your family to pay.
The Dignity funeral plan guarantees to fix ALL funeral costs listed in the plan, including the funeral director's services, cremation and ministers fees. So, your family will have nothing more to pay for these services when the time comes.
You will never have to worry about rising funeral costs as they are guaranteed at the price you pay today - giving you peace of mind that everything as detailed in the plan is taken care of and when the time comes your family will only have to make one phone call.
Compare the top 10 funeral plans