What are the pros and cons of direct cremation?
Choosing cremation without a funeral service is a big
decision, so it is important to speak to your family and weigh up the following
pros and cons together, so you can decide on the best option for you.
It may take time for them to understand the
differences between cremation only plans and more traditional prepaid funeral plans and to appreciate that
there are now alternatives that are just as respectful but provide the freedom
to ‘say goodbye’ your own way, in a more relaxed and familiar setting.
Pros of a direct
- Simple, non religious cremation with no fuss
- Saves money as half the price of a traditional
- No upsetting funeral service at a church or
- Leaves family free to arrange a service where
and when they choose
- Ashes are returned if requested for family to
keep, scatter or bury
Cons of a direct
- No family viewing at a chapel of rest
- The crematorium may not be local to you
- No funeral service at the crematorium or church
- No family or friends in attendance*
If you do decide that you prefer a more traditional funeral
with a service, take a look at our prepaid funeral plan comparison plan section.
Alternatively if you are looking at low cost
options and would rather make lower payments on a monthly basis, you may want
to take a look at monthly funeral plans and
also our guide to Over 50 Life Insurance. Whilst the over 50 life cover won’t provide your funeral
services, it is a way you could leave a cash lump sum for family to help
towards the funeral costs.
cremation providers will allow a small number of people to attend the cremation
however there will be an additional cost and remember that the crematorium may
not be local to you.